Old Fire Station No. 5

1911- 503 Bryan Street, Fort Worth, Texas

ld Fire Station #5 was built in a time of transition for the young Fort Worth Fire Department. Just prior to construction, the frontier bucket brigade had given way to horse-drawn hook & ladder trucks, hose carriages and steam pumpers. The first motor driven trucks arrived in the late 1910's. The City was rapidly growing, both in population and area and the number of fires was increasing in both number and severity. Designed by the famous Fort Worth architectural firm of Sanguinet & Statts, it is one of three remaining stations the firm did for the City. Fire Station #5 opened 19 September, 1911 at a construction cost of approximately $10,000.

It was Fire Station #5 that gave Fort Worth it's famous white fire trucks and was the recipient of "LaFrance #2", one of two experimental motorized hose and chemical wagons, which stayed in service until the late 1940's. In 1903 the Texas State Fair held a "Fastest Pumper" contest with a cash prize of $250. Station #5's Captain Sandy Ferguson asked to use one of the fire wagons to enter the contest. As the newer ones needed to stay on duty, an old "ugly" one was authorized. He raised a collection of $40 and sent the wagon to the E.E. Lenox Buggy Works. It was returned, white with gold trim, looking like a parade wagon. Captain Ferguson and crew won the competition and prize. Today Fort Worth's trucks are all white.

The Station was closed in 1965 and relegated to City storage. It later was sold and served as storage for a local printing company. In 1997 it was purchased by Higginbotham Audio-Visual as their Fort Worth headquarters. Daedalus Development was retained to restore the building to it's original glory to historic standards and to adapt the building to modern code requirements and Higginbotham's needs. The project was finalized in October 1998. Listing on the National Registry of Historic Places was accomplished.

 

- back to top -