Modern Drug Village is a two-story brick commercial
building prominently sited at the important intersection of
Hemphill Street and West Magnolia Avenue in the Fairmount/
Southside National Historic District. Built in the early
1920`s, the west building housed the W. B. LaCava Clothes
Cleaning business. In 1927 Mr. LaCava built the rest of the
complex, replacing a Modern Drug business housed in a frame
structure on the same site. In 1939, Frank Hamra bought the
Modern Drug business located in the east building. Mr.
Hamara bought the complex in the 1970`s after the LaCava
laundry ceased to operate. Modern Drug was located in the east
The District, now
known as Fort Worth South, is situated immediately south of
Fort Worth's Central Business District. It encompasses
approximately 1,400 acres, is the second largest employment
center in the county and contains a significant number of
major hospitals, medical institutions and support services.
The Strategic Plan for Fort Worth South incorporates a
dynamic vision and contains projects for future development
while enhancing existing redevelopment opportunities.
Village, in the center of the major development projects
outlined in the District master plan on the prime corner
also borders the Southside Commons project, which is
projected as a main mixed use development for the area.
component of the Modern Drug Village is the historic
designation that both main buildings carry. Utilizing both
the City tax freeze and the 20% Federal Tax Credit, the
project financial package was completed.
the Village houses the new Fort Worth National Bank, five
occupied loft apartments, a barbershop and space for a
restaurant. The landscaped parking area transitions to the
new south entries via a brick paved courtyard surrounded by
a wrought iron fence. The finished project is the newest
jewel in the continuing Fort Worth South Redevelopment, now
the safest area in Fort Worth, second only to downtown.
1970's the Southside went through a steady decline, reaching
its low point in the late 1970's, although West Magnolia
Avenue and Hemphill Street commercial corridors remained
marginally viable, with some businesses surviving since the
1930's. Since the early 1980's continuing redevelopment efforts have saved most of the significant commercial structures and
adapted them into restaurants, coffee shops, retail, offices,
police station, loft apartments and corporate headquarters.